- BYOB (Bring Your Own Bags): You won’t have to think about paper or
plastic when you bring your own. Keep a bag of bags in your car ready to
use whenever you go shopping.
- Less Packaging: Choose items that have little or no packaging. If a product
you love has lots of wrapping, contact the manufacturer! Ask for less packaging
for the products you are buying. Buy in bulk whenever possible.
- Reduce: Buy quality instead of quantity. Cheap is good, but it isn’t made
to last. Rule of thumb – one good pen is better than 20 throwaways.
- Reuse: Find ways to reuse old items before buying new ones. Getting
creative not only saves you money, but reduces the waste going to landfills.
Consider bringing to the store your own reused glass jars or containers to fill
from bulk bins.
- Recycle: Buy recycled content materials (things made out of previously used
materials). Also, consider buying things that can be recycled afterwards.